Yesterday, September 23, 2013, a new law went into effect allowing small businesses and entrepreneurs can now advertise capital needs via crowdfunding thanks to Title II of the Jobs Act.
Small start-ups can now ask for equity investments publicly, such as through social media sites or elsewhere on the Internet, without having to register the shares for public trading. The legislation is part of the 2012 “Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act,” or JOBS Act, which was meant to encourage new business growth.
This means a great deal for entrepreneurs all over the nation who have great ideas, but no way to fund projects.
It should be highlighted that although this is a great opportunity, there is also a second part (not yet made effective) that will permit “crowdfunding” from the general public.
You may be familiar with crowdfunding thanks to sites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo, which have significantly benefited startups. But these sites do differ from what is currently allowed as they solicit donations, not equity investments.
Critics are uncertain whether or not the new crowdfunding rules in the JOBS Act will succeed in nurturing new businesses or create new problems related to quick growth, untested business models, and inexperienced startups. However, many are thrilled claiming the law represents a new advancement in US entrepreneurship.
One of the challenging things about launching a startup is finding qualified cofounders, especially technical cofounders. If you cannot find cofounders you can find startup incubators who would develop your product for equity and reduced fee. These are good options for MVP development company or app development like Chicago based CodeVentures.com
Do you have an idea you would like to start? Consider one of our many open source PHP scripts for your startup business:
- iScripts AutoHoster: Start your own web hosting business with a complete web hosting management script. iScripts Autohoster is equipped with built-in billing and account management functions, an integrated help desk and website builder.
- iScripts eSwap: Complete software solution used for creating swapping websites. The script allows you to create your own bartering site in minutes while supporting multiple languages, integrated escrow services along with buy, sell, and swap options.
- iScripts GoStores: Ecommerce store builder software application that allows you to create a site similar to Volusion or Quickcart. By offering branded, hosted shopping cart services to your clients, your customers can quickly create and easily manage an online storefront.
- iScripts MultiCart: Unique shopping cart software supports multiple vendors with a single storefront. This virtual mall is integrated with multiple payment gateways.
- iScripts PrintLogic: Online design and printing software, provides a turnkey solution for quickly setting up your own design and printing website.
- iScripts ReserveLogic: An online hotel reservation software, designed ideally for the hospitality industry. This turnkey booking software can be used for any hotel, resort, vacation rental or bed and breakfast looking to offer online reservation and payment.
- iScripts SocialWare: Create a fully customizable, user-friendly social networking website. Create your own online social community site in minutes. The software includes a blog, forum, chat, gift shop, job portal, point system plus more!
- iScripts Cybermatch: A turnkey online dating website software for you to start a full-fledged dating site like match.com. Features like instant messenger, multiple profile photo, abuse reporting and others, make the script more secure & scalable.
- iScripts EasyCreate: A private label website builder software that allows you to provide website building services for clients to create ecommerce websites in minutes.
- iScripts EasyIndex: Create a flexible and user-friendly business directory. Create a directory or yellow pages for local or niche groups.
- iScripts MultiCart Enterprise: Service a complete market with independent storefronts all working together to promote products from a single database. The enterprise level software supports vendor, affiliate and reseller panels that allow third parties to sell and work independently to sell their own products, your products and even each other’s products.
- iScripts NetMenus: Multi-restaurant ordering system designed to satisfy all needs of an online food court where users can search, order and have food delivered from a variety of establishments.
- iScripts Backuper: Create a private labeled online data backup business similar to Mozy or iDrive.
- iScripts SupportDesk: An open source web based help-desk software that enables you to manage your sales and customer service queries in an efficient manner.
- iScripts DailyDeals: Quickly setup your own daily deals platform similar to Groupon, Living Social and other daily deal sites.
- iScripts VistaCart: A powerful open source ecommerce store script that allows you to easily create your own online storefront.