Printing can be a hot business in 2014. Now with current technology, you can have a custom garment printing business up and running in little time. This is great; however, there are quite a few common mistakes made which frequently occur when printers are first getting started. Not only do these occur in newer print shops, but sometimes they are simply overlooked. In order to run a printing business not only should you have a talent for printing in various methods, but you must also be business savvy.
1. Traffic is sent from third party sites. The printer may receive orders from third party websites and not receive the best quality design or full information from the site. This is very risky!
2. The printer does not receive the exact design and needs to do their best to create the proper garment. It is very difficult to guess what each customer wants as the end product!
3. Their website is outdated. It is very common that printers have outdated webpages. If you are in the industry, you should have a custom designer of some sort on your webpage. There is too much competition!
4. The designs have too many colors. It is much more difficult to print a design with too many colors! The more simple the design, the higher quality the product will be in the end.
5. Printers are not actively marketing their business. It’s 2014, you must have a marketing strategy to keep up!
6. Poor printing from screens breaking or low quality ink. After a while, the emulsion can come off and you must “post-expose” the screen.
7. Another common mistake in the screen printing business is that all branding has been ignored. Find a niche, create a logo, build a brand as much as possible and you will find success!
8. Inability to establish relationships with groups in the community. Reach out to your surrounding area and contact sports teams, religious organizations, or schools to build connections.
9. Heat transfers cannot be used for everything! Heat transfers do not work as well with dark colored garments. You will have to use an alternative printing method.
If you are trying to get into the printing business, we just gave you the low down on the screen printing business. These flaws are deal breakers and should be kept in mind when running your printing business. It is extremely important to not only fully understand printing techniques as well as when to apply them, but also have a set marketing plan. Brick and mortar businesses are becoming hybrid standalone businesses through proper web development. Your printing business can grow into a large online empire with the proper marketing and creativity.
If you are interested in iScripts PrintLogic, you can check out our online demo.
We have a custom designer so that your customers can upload their own designs! If you would like to purchase the software visit our product page here.
iScripts PrintLogic can bring your printing business up to date and help employ your online marketing plan.